I don’t know about you, but the idea of adding Google Friend Connect to my blogs never really enticed me…. It seemed like just another MyBlogLog.
However, I’m kind of a Facebook Junkie, and so when I had a few minutes, I decided to look into Facebook Connect. It’s pretty darn similar to Google Connect in that users (you!) can “join” a blog and it will display “recent” visitors. However, the one HUGE benefit is that when configured correctly (there’s a bit more to this than I expected), users can push “comments” to their news feeds… and I’m pretty sure there’ll be other ways of integrating content created on the blog into Facebook in the near future.
With that in mind I installed and configured the facebook connect plugin from sociable.es.
Here are the major features that are enabled now (and I highly recommend you test them out!):
1) Connect with the site
- that’s as simple as clicking on the bottom at the top of the right panel)
2) Push a comment to your Facebook Feed
- That’s as simple as leaving a comment once you’re logged in & following the prompt that asks if you really want to push your comment to your profile
- Interestingly, if you’re connected to FB, then the tool will override the “gravatar” avatar with your profile photo from FB
3) Invite others
- Why not go ahead and spread some luv, 4realz-style!
- If you’re looking for permission, then I hearby give you permission to invite people to read 4realz.
4) Update your profile
- If you want your comments to link back to your blog/website, then you’ll need to update your profile on the site (look for the “edit profile” text once you are logged in on the top right panel)
That’s all for now. I thought I’d test it out on 4realz for a few days and if everything works well, then this is definitely something I’ll push to Rain City Guide soon.