So, it’s been a half-day since the big move and everything appeared to have gone pretty smoothly. While I followed my steps pretty darn closely, there were a few adjustments. So here are the steps I used to move from a hosted wordpress.com account to a self-hosted environment:
- Export posts/comments/categories/etc XML file to hard-drive
- Save a copy of the blogroll’s OPML file
- Copy the header graphic to hard-drive
- Set up new database with the host and configure wp-config.php file to point to new servers.
- Upload, but don’t activate, wordpress files to the new host servers *
- Publish posts on your existing blog saying changes are on the way (Here’s my example) 🙂
- Change DNS settings using your domain registrar to point to your new host.
- Ask new host to recognize 4realz.net as the new primary domain (this step probably really depends on the host)
- When your host recognizes 4realz.net as the primary domain, configure MX settings.
- Wait for DNS settings to take effect and begin redirecting traffic to the new site!
- When your local ISP recognizes the new site, then run the WordPress 5 min install
- Import blog posts from XML file. After uploading the initial file, be sure to confirm you want to batch in multimedia.**
- Configure theme, activate plugins, import blogroll, etc.
* Note I actually ran threw a test where I completed steps 1 through 4 AND activated the WP blog using the dummy domain I had set up with the host just to make sure I would have no problems installing WP on their backend. I then deleted everything and started over for the “official” move because it seems more intuitive to me to wait to “activate” the WP blog until after it’s going to be configured to the correct domain.
** At this state, I had to change the “php.ini to allow for uploads greater than 2MB. Not hard, but also not self-evident. And a great reason to do a the test I mentioned in the first note.
Leave a Reply