As best I can tell, there isn’t a great list of real estate events that is published anywhere on the web. CourseDates probably comes the closest with their list of real estate conventions, but even they’re missing the smaller events that I want to track.
So this evening, I created a group on upcoming simply called Real Estate, and I invite all of you to join me in my endeavor to track the various real estate events that occur around the country.
I settled on upcoming for a variety of reasons:
- Many people with the RE.net are already using it to track their events (see Portland RE Meetup, Adwords Training by Reachd and RE BarCamp as examples)
- It’s free
- Nice RSS support (including the ability to sort-events by start date within feeds)
- It has great social features including a “groups” that will allow me to promote others to help manage the group.
So, here’s how I plan to use the group:
- I’ve added the list of events to the sidepanel of 4realz.net
- I subscribed to the group’s RSS feed so that I can get an update any time someone else adds a new event to the group!
- I opened up permissions on the group so that anyone can join and add events to the group.
- I’ll continue to add events as I learn about them.
How can you use the group?
- Join the group and add your own events.
- You can subscribe to the group’s RSS feed to learn about new real estate events as they get published on upcoming.
- Add the list of real estate events to your sidepanel.
- You can either add the events as a badge or
- If you’re using wordpress.com like me, then you can add them via the RSS widget (and if so, use this RSS feed: http://feed43.com/real-estate-events.xml since it is already formatted to display the events a better and took some odd/ugly parsing to get right)
Of course, if people start adding spammy-type events to the group, I’ll buckle down the hatches a bit in terms of who can post events, but at least initially, I don’t see that being much of an issue. And if you have any ideas for how to improve the tracking of real estate events, I’m definitely interested in hearing about it!